Apple to release iPhone 5 Friday
Published: Thursday, September 20, 2012
Updated: Thursday, September 20, 2012 00:09
Last Wednesday, the release of the iPhone 5 was announced to widespread optimism and approval. Pre-ordering has been available since Friday, and the demand generated by the phone’s release has pushed Apple’s stock to more than $700 a share, valuing today’s market value of the company at $658 billion.
Apple updated its website to showcase the new product, with a production manager in their release video stating, “When you think about your iPhone, it’s probably the object that you use most in your life. It’s the product that you have with you all of the time. With this unique relationship people have with their iPhone, we take changing it really seriously.”
Paul West, an entertainment industry major at Southern Miss, has been using Apple products for years.
“I love the iPhone 5,” West said. “The new design and hardware make it a very nice upgrade when compared to my iPhone 4. From what I’ve read, the iPhone 5 just blows other phones out of the water in terms of speed and design. I will be camping out to get one of the first ones.”
Becca Morris, who works with artist relations for Winter Circle Productions in New Orleans, plans on upgrading to the new phone.
“I have the iPhone 4S now, and I plan on getting the iPhone 5 because I like all of the features it has, plus it has a bigger screen,” Morris said. “I love Apple. I like minimalist stuff and Steve Jobs is my hero. They have the best software in computers, phones, anything.”
The iPhone 4S has had a price reduction to $99 for the 16 GB version, and the iPhone 4 will come free with new contracts with mobile carriers.
The iPhone 5 retails for $199 (16 GB), $299 (32 GB) and $399 (64 GB) and will be available in stores Friday.
Some of the improvements to the phone include changes in hardware, software, speed and design:
- The screen is taller, not wider, so it can still be comfortably used with one hand.
- The phone is 18% thinner and 20% lighter.
- It includes 4G LTE, which Apple states is faster than the average wifi speed.
- It contains an Apple A6 chip, which delivers performance up to twice as fast as the previous iPhone.
- It has increased battery life.
- A new, reversible charger fits both ways in the phone.
- It has Facebook integration, so content can be posted directly from the phone.
- It has the ability to take hi-definition panoramic pictures.