Several departments at The University of Southern Mississippi, including the Department of Political Science, International Development and International Affairs and the Department of Philosophy and Religion, will sponsor the inaugural Pre-Law Week Sept. 14-17 in commemoration of the launch of the new pre-law track programs inthe College of Arts and Letters.
“The purpose of Pre-Law Week is so students may better prepare their law school applications and be fully informed about different kinds of legal careers they can pursue,” said Edward Sayre, chairman of the Department of Political Science, International Development and International Affairs.
While students who become political science majors are interested in law careers, Sayre said that students outside of the department often do not know much about law school or legal careers.
“Students in this fi eld need to be exposed to insights on law and legal careers, and with the new pre-law emphasis and now this week’s activities, more people might even consider going into these careers,” said junior political science major Quentin Welborn.
The various events scheduled for the week will help to educate students on careers in the legal world. Sessions on preparation for law school, such as tips for the LSAT, writing samples and writing letters of recommendation, will be held on campus. The schedule is as follows:
Monday, Sept. 14
• Law School Application Do’s and Don’t’s, 1-2 p.m., Liberal Arts Building, room 108
• Preparing for the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), 3:30-4:30 p.m., Liberal Arts Building, room 203
• Practice LSAT, 5-8:30 p.m., Liberal Arts Building, room 103
Tuesday, Sept. 15
• Economists in the Courtroom: Forensics Economics, 12:15-1 p.m., Liberal Arts Building, room 103
• Mock Law School Class, Donald Campbell, associate professor of law, Mississippi College School of Law, 1-2 p.m., Liberal Arts Building, room 103
Wednesday, Sept. 16
• Meet The Law Schools, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Thad Cochran Center Atrium
• A Day In The Life of a Lawyer Panel, Members from the Hattiesburg Young Lawyers Association, 4-5 p.m., Cochran Center Ballroom III
• Lawyers at the Movies: “A Civil Action” (1998) starring John Travolta and Robert Duvall, 6-9 p.m., Cochran Center Ballroom III
Thursday, Sept. 17
• Pre-Law Luncheon, Noon-1:30 p.m., Thad Cochran Center Ballroom II, cohosted by Hattiesburg Young Lawyers Association and Hattiesburg